The Johns Creek Solid Waste Division permits and coordinates solid waste and recycling collection provided by private-sector waste haulers, and, with Keep Johns Creek Beautiful
, organizes multiple public events for document shredding, bulky waste recycling, and hazardous household waste collection.
The Solid Waste Division also provides oversight of the Solid Waste Management Plan
, adopted by the City Council in 2008 and the Solid Waste Ordinance
, adopted by the City Council in 2010.
The City of Johns Creek does not provide trash collection, but does require solid waste haulers to register to operate within the City. Although the City regulates
the levels and nature of service provided, it does not manage, control, regulate or negotiate the fees the haulers charge or the agreements between haulers and their customers.
Waste haulers are required to provide a minimum level of service and submit their base rates for posting here. The intent of publishing the fees is to encourage competition and help the public know when they are being treated fairly.
The list below includes those waste haulers who have registered and provided rate information:
American Disposal Services
3255 Heritage Dr., Kennesaw, GA 30144
4039 Bonsai Road, Conley, GA 30288
Commercial: Roll-off only
PO Box 1165, Cumming, GA 30028
Commercial recycling only
Cherokee County, GA
Residential: $30/month for one, 90-gallon container
Republic Services of GA
75 Curtis Road, Lawrenceville, GA 30045
6970 Main Street, Woodstock, Georgia 30188
3512 Oakcliff Road, Doraville, GA 30340
The above maximum pricing reflects the following service levels or equivalent:
- Residential: Weekly curbside collection of 90 gallon rolling waste cart, 30 gallon rolling recycling cart, and yard trimmings, and once per month bulk waste collection.
- Commercial: Collection of a 6 cubic yard dumpster weekly.
- Many variables can affect the rates charged by waste haulers. Often additional charges may apply and consumers are encouraged to contact waste haulers using the information provided above to inquire about extra charges and to compare rates, before entering into a service contract.
Additional fees may be charged, such as fuel surcharge, administrative fees, fees for stopping or restarting service, and cart delivery fees. It is recommended that you have the waste hauler explain all fees they charge prior to entering into a service contract.
The City of Johns Creek does not provide recycling services but there are several options available through private haulers. The haulers identified above are required to provide traditional residential recycling services for common recyclables as part of their basic services. In order to encourage recycling, waste haulers are required to provide 30 gallon or larger wheeled recycling carts with lids at the request of the homeowners they serve.
The closest recycling drop-off center is:
North Fulton Recycling Center:
470 Morgan Falls Road, Sandy Springs, GA 30350
Please check with these centers for their hours of operation and description of items accepted.
Johns Creek Solid Waste Management Plan
Each municipality in Georgia is required to have a Solid Waste Management Plan, as outlined in the Georgia Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Act.
A solid waste plan provides local officials with a long-range "blueprint" for collection, disposal and recycling of solid waste in order to reduce the amount going into landfills and other disposal facilities. Johns Creek's solid waste stream is made up of residential, commercial, industrial, construction and demolition (C&D) materials.
- provides assurance of adequate solid waste collection and disposal capacity for at least ten (10) years from the date of plan completion.
- promotes reduction of the per capita rate of municipal solid waste disposed in solid waste facilities. (The city's per capita disposal rate is projected to decrease from 6.38 pounds per day in 2008 to 5.74 pounds per day by 2018, a 10 percent decrease.)