HomeQuickLinks ­ FAQs ­ Police FAQs

Police FAQs

When should I call 911?

In Johns Creek, you should call 911 anytime you need police or fire dispatched to you, or your home or business. There is no non-emergency dispatch phone number.

The technology at ChatComm, the city's 911 Emergency Communications Center, handles both emergency and non-emergency dispatch calls for our public safety responders.

This is different from when Fulton County provided our 911 services and we had a separate number for non-emergency dispatch.    Now, you only have to remember one number – 911.

For example, if you see suspicious behavior, but it's not a crime in progress, call 911. Or, if you're the victim of identity theft, call 911 and a police officer will be dispatched to you to make a report.

The JCPD's main administrative number at 678-474-1600 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.), however, remains your point of contact if you need a copy of a police report, a background check or if you have a general question about the JCPD or any of its Community Service programs.

How do I file a police report?

There are two ways to file a report with the JCPD:
  • Call 911 and an officer will be dispatched to your location (must be in Johns Creek) to take a report,
  • Come to JCPD headquarters at 11360 Lakefield Drive, Johns Creek, GA 30097. Stop at the Records Department window in the lobby and ask for an officer to meet with you and take a report.
You cannot file a report over the phone.

How can I obtain a copy of my police report?

Reports are usually completed within 5 business days. You may pick up a copy of your report at the Police Department (address listed above). We do not fax police reports.

Is there a cost for police reports?

Yes. Accident reports are $5. Incident reports are .10 cents per page.

How can I speak to the detective/investigator assigned to my case?

Call 678-474-1576 and your call will be directed to the right person.

Do you do background checks? How much do they cost?

Yes. You need to fill out a form at the police department and present a valid government-issued ID. Background checks cover the entire state of Georgia and are ready for pick up in 1 to 3 business days. The cost is $20.

Can I get my fingerprints done at the Police Department?

No, not at this time.

Can I get a TPO (Temporary Protective Order) at the police department?

We do not issue TPOs. These are issued by the local Sheriff's office where the person you are filing against lives.

How can I contact the jail or check the status of someone arrested by the JCPD?

Arrestees are taken to the Fulton County Jail, at one of two locations:
  • Fulton County Jail:  404-613-2000; 901 Rice Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30318. 
  • North Annex (at Alpharetta Jail):  404-612-3432 or 3434; 2565 Old Milton Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30009.

If the Police Department has my vehicle towed, where can I find it?

The JCPD contracts with United Towing service. They are located at 1160 Tidwell Road, Alpharetta, GA 30004, 770-751-0581, unitedtowing16@yahoo.com.

If the JCPD obtained property from me, how can I get it back?

Contact the Evidence Unit at 678-474-1600 to ensure your property is available for retrieval, the proper paperwork has been completed and to set up an appointment to retrieve it.

During what days and times can I retrieve my property?

It's strongly suggested you call the Evidence Unit to arrange pickup first. Come to the police department lobby between 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and the Evidence Unit will be notified. Any arrangements for pick up outside of normal business hours will need to be pre-arranged with the Evidence Custodian.

Are there special requirements for picking up a gun held in police custody?

Yes, you need to call 678-474-1572 prior to your arrival to make arrangements with the Evidence Custodian to complete the necessary paperwork. The Evidence Custodian is required to obtain the owner's Criminal History prior to releasing the firearm to the owner. There are certain violations that could prohibit an owner from obtaining their firearm. A picture ID and proof of ownership is required.

I got ticketed by the Police Department. How much does it cost and how can I pay for it?

Contact the Johns Creek Municipal Court at 678-512-3444 to answer your question. Their hours are 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Is it possible to get an extra patrol while away on vacation?

Yes. Please call 678-474-1561 or fill out a Vacation Watch request in the P2C (Police to Citizen) service center.

Does the Police Department have a neighborhood watch?

Yes. For further information, call Sgt. Debra Coble at 678-474-1587 or read more here.

How do I deal with a theft?

To report a theft, call 911.

Most thefts are opportunistic in nature, so make it more difficult for the theft to take place. For example, never leave valuable objects (laptop, I-pod, cell phone, purse, etc.) in open view inside your parked car.

Make sure you write down all your serial numbers and identification markings. Place the list in a safe place or two - maybe a list at home, and email yourself at work. If you are ever a victim, you can give the serial numbers and identification markings to the police to enter in the National Automated Property System. If anyone is caught with the property it can be identified as stolen and the culprit can be arrested. With the public's help we can reduce thefts, recover more stolen property and arrest more thieves.

How do I deal with an animal that has been hurt or endangered?

If you see a loose dog or other animal, contact the owner if you know who they are. If you don't know who owns the animal, contact Fulton County Animal Services at 404-613-0358.

Keep children inside. Wait for Animal Services to catch the animal before going outside.

Do not pick up or touch injured animals. A bite from an animal may necessitate medical treatment for the injury and shots for rabies. This is especially true if the animal runs away before it can be caught and tested.

If you know the animal and it is familiar with you, try to contain it to a fenced yard. Avoid pulling on it. If you injure it, it may bite you.

If you encounter a large animal such as a cow or horse, try not to spook it. Warn traffic of the loose animal if possible and contact Fulton County Animal Services at 404-613-0358.