September 01, 2021
In continuing the effort to provide businesses flexibility as establishments seek to continue operations during the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Johns Creek has extended the duration of the Temporary Outdoor Operations permit through Aug. 31, 2022.
The permit provides for allowances where they may not be otherwise permitted by city code:
- Permit. A Temporary Outdoor Restaurant Operations Permit application shall be sent via e-mail to PandZ@Johnscreekga.gov. If approved, the permit will be valid for the duration of time deemed appropriate and approved by City Council.
- Occupancy. New outdoor operations cannot result in a total occupancy greater than the originally approved occupancy limit.
- ADA Requirements: No temporary outdoor operations shall be placed on an interior sidewalk or parking space unless an accessible path is available.
- Tents: The maximum tent size shall be 10’ by 10’. No more than four (4) tents shall be permitted per restaurant. Tents shall be safely secured and shall not be connected to each other. No cooking of food or open flames are permitted outdoors or under tents.
- Life Safety Requirements:
- At least one 2A10BC rated fire extinguisher shall be provided for outdoor operations using any number of tents. Points of ingress and egress shall not be blocked for any reason.
- No portable heating element/equipment is permitted underneath a tent or awning without prior approval from the city’s Fire Marshal.
- Traffic & Parking: New outdoor operations cannot interfere with normal vehicle traffic movement, to include fire department access to the building and access to fire hydrants and other firefighting equipment.
- Health Department Requirements: Food preparation must be completed inside the restaurant kitchen facilities.
- Alcoholic Beverages: All proposals for consumption of alcohol on premise shall be in compliance with Section 6-53 of the City Code, with the exception of subsection (B)(5) and (7). Consumption of alcohol shall only occur within the area of the tent.
For more information and to view the permit and guidelines, please visit the city website