HomeNews & Events ­ News Archive ­ 2017 News ­ Volunteers needed to serve on City boards & commissions

Volunteers needed to serve on City boards & commissions

December 19, 2017

Boards & Commissions***The call for board applications is now closed (Jan. 18, 2018). Thank you to those who have applied. 

Residents who are interested in serving on the Public Art Board, Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals can nominate themselves for board positions. Residents with the time, ability and desire to actively participate on these boards are asked to please apply online.

The Planning Commission, which has seven members, reviews zoning cases and serves as a recommending body to the Mayor and City Council for the purpose of upholding and implementing the vision and objectives as outlined in Comprehensive Plan and accompanying regulatory ordinances such as zoning and subdivisions. Planning Commission members are appointed by Mayor & City Council and serve two year, staggered terms. The Planning Commission meets on the first Tuesday of the month.

The Public Art Board, which has five members, reviews proposals for public art work and provides recommendations to the City Council as outlined in the Public Art Ordinance and Public Art Master Plan. The Public Art Board may develop standards for Public Art on City property, including the selection of works of art and special landscape treatments, with the final review and approval by the Mayor and City Council. Each board member is appointed by the Mayor & City Council to four-year terms. The Public Art Board meets as proposals are received.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), which has seven members, decides on cases requesting variances and/or code interpretations on the regulatory ordinances of the City, including but not limited to zoning and land development regulations. Further, the board shall hear cases requesting an appeal to a staff interpretation and/or decision on the above referenced ordinances. Other ordinances adopted in the future that include regulatory requirements which affect building and development may come under the purview of this Board. The BZA is a decision making board in that any appeal to its decisions shall be made to the Superior Court of Fulton County.  BZA members are appointed by Mayor & City Council and serve two year, staggered terms. The Board of Zoning Appeals meets on the third Tuesday of each month.

Questions? Call City Hall at 678-512-3200 or email info@JohnsCreekGA.gov.