April 01, 2016
Recycle furniture, old computers, home medical equipment and other hard-to-dispose-of large items at Johns Creek’s “Bulky Items Recycling Day” on April 9 at Alcon Laboratories in Technology Park.
“’Bulky Items Recycling Day’ is a way for people to get rid of large items, such as furniture, appliances and electronics and help others at the same time,” said Johns Creek Solid Waste Manager James Swope. “However, there are some items not suitable for recycling or reuse, such as broken furniture and mattresses. People need to talk to their private waste hauler about collecting those.”
People can also bring used home medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds and crutches, to be donated to Friends of Disabled Adults and Children. This year, there is a particular need for gently used clothing and shoes that will be donated to needy families.
The event – for Johns Creek residents only – is hosted by the City of Johns Creek and Keep Johns Creek Beautiful and runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Alcon Laboratories, 11460 Johns Creek Pkwy. Expect delays and please arrive well before 1 p.m. Reusable items will be donated to charity.
The following items will be accepted in any condition:
- Appliances: refrigerators, washers, dryers
- Electronics: cell phones, computers & accessories, televisions
- Metal items: bicycles, grills, lawn furniture, scrap metal, file cabinets, lawn mowers
- Home medical equipment: wheelchairs, walkers, canes, shower seats, etc.
- Fluorescent tubes and CFL’s (compact fluorescent lights)
- F.O.G. (cooking fats/oils/grease)
The following items – in good reusable condition only – will be accepted:
- Clothing and shoes that are clean and in good condition
- Bed frames, dressers, chests, armoires, mirrors, night stands, TV stands
- Dining tables, chairs, buffets, hutches, china cabinets, coffee/sofa/end tables
- Cribs, changing tables, highchairs, sofas, loveseats, armchairs, ottomans, lamps
- Kitchenware, linens, working microwave ovens
- Books, toys, pet equipment
Please do NOT bring the following items:
- Furniture that is torn, stained, broken or structurally unsound, mattresses, box springs
- Desks, office furniture, pianos, game tables, large entertainment centers
- Carpet/rugs, exercise equipment, waterbeds
- Window treatments, carpeting, playpens, strollers, car seats, paint or household hazardous waste; or any fluids Including motor oil and anti-freeze, construction and demolition materials, yard debris, household trash, tires.
For more information, call 770-551-7766
, email email@example.com
, or visit Keep Johns Creek Beautiful at www.knfb.org