July 27, 2015
To celebrate Park & Recreation Month
, take a look at five cool things to do at Johns Creek's parks:
1. Take a walk down the nature trail at Shakerag Park
, 10945 Rogers Circle. One mile-long trail wanders through a hardwood forest and features a boardwalk, crosses a stream, and passes by a working farm. While you’re at it, test your Geo-caching skills and see if you can locate the hidden cache.
2. Tour the historic buildings at Autrey Mill Nature Preserve and Heritage Center
, 9770 Autrey Mill Rd. off Old Alabama Rd. Call ahead for a tour of the historic church, country store, Victorian house, farm museum and other buildings from the past. And if the trails at Shakerag weren’t enough, you can walk longer trails at Autrey Mill.
3. Put on your sunscreen and hit the sand volleyball court at Ocee Park
, 10900 Buice Rd. Bring friends!
4. Take your pup to Newtown Dream Dog Park
at Newtown Park, 3150 Old Alabama Rd. The Newtown Dog Park has artificial turf for Fido to run on, water features to play in, and obstacles to romp over. All dogs must be fully vaccinated so make sure he has all of his shots!
5. Visit the Johns Creek Farmers Market at the Newtown Park Amphitheater
on Saturday mornings. Stock up on vine-ripened tomatoes, locally grown blueberries, and other produce, as well as artisan cheeses, baked goods and other products. The Farmers Market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 3150 Old Alabama Rd.