July 18, 2014
Johns Creek road contractors on Wednesday, Aug. 6, are launching the first of several road improvements to Old Alabama Road west of Jones Bridge Road.
Crews will repave and re-stripe a half-mile of Old Alabama Road from the city limits to Ivey Ridge Lane. At the same time, they will repave Nesbit Ferry Road where it splits off from Old Alabama Road. The paving will include adding a second left-turn lane at Old Alabama Road and Nesbit Ferry Road. The project is estimated to take about a week, weather permitting.
Paving will be done from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
"We're trying hard to minimize any inconvenience to our commuters," said Public Works Director Tom Black. "We're paving at night, and we want to be done before school starts Aug. 11."
The City has added sidewalks and done some minor road widening on Nesbit Ferry Road from Mount Pisgah Christian School to Newtown Park.
The improvements are part of a series of projects started in May to make Old Alabama Road consistently four lanes from Jones Bridge Road to the western city limits, to add new sidewalks, and build turn lanes to some major intersections. The road and sidewalk enhancements will continue up Jones Bridge Road and tie in to similar, recently completed improvements there.
The overall project is tentatively scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.
Aerial views of project: Overall concept, Old Alabama (west) side
| Overall concept, Jones Bridge (east) side
Old Alabama Road:
Jones Bridge Road:
- Four lanes, starting at Jones Bridge Road heading west to the City limits just past the fork at Nesbit Ferry Road and Old Alabama Road.
- New right turn lane added. Westbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Haynes Bridge Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.
- New right turn lane added. Northbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Jones Bridge Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.
- Second left-turn lane north onto Jones Bridge Road.
- Second left-turn lane at Old Alabama Road and Nesbit Ferry Road.
- Sidewalks from Jones Bridge Road to Mount Pisgah Christian School.
- Repaving from Jones Bridge Road east to just past Brumbelow Road.
- Five lanes, two in each direction with a center turn lane, starting at Waters Road south to Old Alabama Road.
- Sidewalks from Waters Road to Old Alabama Road.
- Northbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Old Alabama Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.