April 30, 2014
Starting May 1, Johns Creek continues improvements on the southern end of Jones Bridge Road, extending them onto Old Alabama Road and west to the City limits.
"This is a major route from Roswell into Johns Creek, and it goes back and forth between four lanes to two lanes to four lanes," said Public Works Director Tom Black. "It's confusing and causes bottlenecks. These changes will make the Old Alabama-Jones Bridge commute easier and safer."
The project includes a small part of each leg of the fork at Old Alabama Road and Nesbit Ferry Road near Mount Pisgah Christian School, and also additional sidewalks.
"Extending the sidewalks will allow people to walk from Jones Bridge neighborhoods all the way to Newtown Park," Black said. "Or they could go to some of the major retail centers at Old Alabama and Jones Bridge roads, and at Old Alabama and Haynes Bridge roads. It opens up lots of possibilities for people to get out of their cars and enjoy the outdoors."
The 1.75-mile project is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Aerial views of project: Overall concept, Old Alabama (west) side
| Overall concept, Jones Bridge (east) side
Jones Bridge Road:
Old Alabama Road:
- Five lanes, two in each direction with a center turn lane, starting at Waters Road south to Old Alabama Road.
- Sidewalks from Waters Road to Old Alabama Road.
- Northbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Old Alabama Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.
- Four lanes, starting at Jones Bridge Road heading west to the City limits just past the fork at Nesbit Ferry Road and Old Alabama Road.
- New right turn lane added. Westbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Haynes Bridge Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.
- New right turn lane added. Northbound drivers can drive straight through the right-turn lane at Jones Bridge Road; currently, drivers in the right lane can only turn right.
- Second left-turn lane north onto Jones Bridge Road.
- Second left-turn lane at Old Alabama Road and Nesbit Ferry Road.
- Sidewalks from Jones Bridge Road to Mount Pisgah Christian School.
- Repaving from Jones Bridge Road east to just past Brumbelow Road.