Home » Services » Revenue


Revenue is responsible for the administration, collection and enforcement of the City's business tax certificates, alcohol licenses and excise taxes. The required licenses and permits must be secured from the City prior to conducting or operating any business activity. Visit Business Resources for other helpful resources when starting a new business.

Alcohol Licenses / Permits

Alcohol distribution, sales and consumption in Johns Creek requires the licenses, permits and taxes listed below. For more information, see Alcohol Licenses.

  • Alcoholic Licenses
    A Johns Creek establishment which distributes or sells alcoholic beverages, by the package or drink, must do so under a license granted by the City. Alcohol Licenses are valid for one year and are due for renewal by November 15 each year.

  • Employee Pouring Permits
    All employees of restaurants, bars, or other establishments with on-premise consumption of alcoholic beverages must obtain an employee pouring permit prior to dispensing, selling, serving or mixing alcoholic beverages. This permit must be in the employee's possession when working at the establishment. Pouring permits must be renewed annually.

Business Tax Certificates

All persons, firms, companies or corporations located or engaged in business in the City of Johns Creek are required to register their business with the City and obtain a business certificate by paying occupational taxes and administrative fees.

Business Tax Certificates are valid for a calendar year, January 1 through December 31, and must be renewed by March 31 each year. For more information, see Business Tax Certificates.

Excise Taxes

Alcohol sales and hotel/motel room rentals in Johns Creek incur an excise tax payable to the City. For more information, see Excise Taxes.

  • Alcohol Taxes
    Excise taxes are levied on all sales of malt beverages, wine and distilled spirits for wholesale purchase and on all retail sales of distilled spirits by the drink. These are due monthly on the preceding month's sales.

  • Car Rental Taxes
    Excise taxes are levied on the rent or lease of motor vehicles in the City of Johns Creek. These are due monthly on the preceding month's sales.

  • Hotel/Motel Taxes
    Excise taxes are levied on the rent of guest rooms in hotels, motels and other establishments with guest rooms regularly furnished for value to the public. These are due monthly on the preceding month's sales.