Home » News » News Archive » 2012-12-06_malfunctioning-streetlights

2012 News Archive 


Keep Johns Creek streets safe by reporting malfunctioning lights


utility crew replacing street lightWith darkness descending earlier every day, Johns Creek officials are asking the public to report malfunctioning street lights to enhance safety for pedestrians and motorists.

Electric companies own the streetlights, but the City of Johns Creek can readily determine which company owns particular lights and can quickly pass on the information efficiently. If a streetlight is out in your neighborhood, please fill out this short online Service Request form for the City to share with the utility company.

"We want to do all we can to ensure the safety of pedestrians and motorists at night, and having all of our streetlights functioning properly will help us to do that," said Public Works Director Tom Black.

He added that the City pays the utility companies a flat fee for electricity to power the lights whether the lights are working or not.

"If we notify the utility companies of unlit streetlights and they get them fixed, then we have better lit streets, which are safer, and the City gets its money's worth," Black said.

A couple of tips:

  • Make sure it is totally dark before reporting a malfunctioning light so that all lights have an opportunity to turn on.

  • Provide as much location information as possible on the form, such as an intersection, at the end of a cul-de-sac or the nearest address location, which electric company serves you, and, if possible, the pole number embossed on the light pole.

For questions or more information, call Utility Coordinator Kevin Dye at 678-512-3200 or email him at .